Create New MMS Campaign - Step by Step Guide
*Important Note on MMS File Size Restrictions Below this article
*Note - This article assumes you have already created your MMS in the Build MMS design portal. If you have not yet done this, check out our tutorial here: https://mobiledigital.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000798834
Go to Campaigns > Create Campaign
You will see the MMS Campaign tile. Click Create MMS
1. Insert Campaign Name and Description and then click Continue.
Choose the image template you want to use for this campaign and click Continue
2. Below is where you will add your SMS content that travels with your MMS asking for a call to action from your customer. Personalise it by adding in the Tags such as <FirstName> <Add2WalletLink> and <Code> if you are using unique redemption codes. You can also add personalised website tracker links for further information and more.
- Note : If you do not add the Tags they will not populate from your imported list - it's important that these tags are added to your message and correctly labelled in your Cleaned & Prepared CSV file accordingly.
- By law it is compulsory to include an OPT OUT option for every MMS/SMS campaign. See example e.g Hi <Firstname>, your voucher <Coupon> is due to expire on <Expiry>. Opt Out Reply STOP
3. You will now see the creative mapper showing how your MMS will look and you can customise your trailing SMS content, add website links to take the customer, unique Add2Wallet passes and finally a customised vCard for adding your company as a trusted contact to their address book.
4. Choose your Delivery Schedule and whether you would like to stagger the send through (to allow time for your call centre to process demand for example) or to simply send the same message to all contacts at once. Make sure you select an expiry date on the campaign for data tracking. Full details are below
- Destination Time Zone, is pre-set to Australia/Sydney time. Delivery Date is set in the delivery date field. You can set the date and time using the calendar options. To allow for backend processing please allow a minimum of 45 minutes prior to when you wish to send the campaign. This allows the team to check all the contents of the data packet prior to sending. MobileDigital will not run a campaign prior to 8am Sydney time or after 9pm (SYD) out of respect for your client base.
- Send in Waves - if you would like to send a 10,000 recipient campaign in waves of 2,500 or in 4 waves. You can select to send by number of waves or by number of Rows (recipients per wave). Please be aware selecting by the number of Rows any remaining rows will be sent in an additional wave. Input Size of Waves (maximum size of waves) based on previous option selected and delay between waves (delay options in days, hours or minutes).
- Offer Expiry Info tab - settings to set the expiry information. Expiry Date (date the giftcard expires) or if you want to use a particular format select Format Select or if you want to set a generic expiry date across entire campaign e.g. September 2017 use Enter Custom Word for Expiry or if you have a Custom expiry format for date preference you can tick that option and completely customise your date here.
6. Next we will Choose Recipients - You can select to upload your data by Create Target, existing MMS Campaign Target or upload the cleaned data from a CSV.
- Click on Map My Field Tags to match the fields to the tags in your personal message.
- CSV contains non-unique codes is automatically ticked. The inTouch app assumes you are not using unique codes in the csv that has been uploaded. If you are using unique codes, unticking this box, inTouch will automatically checks for duplicate codes in the campaign for a Retailer. Leave this box checked if you are not using unique codes, recycling codes or using the one code for all.
The Mappable Tags area will highlight any personalised fields that need to be mapped in the CSV prior to creating the campaign. If a personalised tag was used in the trailing SMS component or on the MMS creative, it will be highlighted here.
Final Check & Image Compression (If Required)
7. The final check on your campaign is a check on the size of the total MMS packet which is capped at 300KB, over this will incur a surcharge and if it is over 500kB it won't be sent as the carriers are unable to guarantee delivery across existing gateways.
Head back to your Campaigns > MMS Campaign Summary Main Screen and click on the View icon in the unapproved campaigns section.
- Amendments to the artwork/creative is carried out here. The dashboard has a compression tool that we use to reduce the images to meet this requirement - this can be an iterative process based on testing actual complete message deliveries to a nominated mobile to test size and quality as subject and quality can vary. The Request Size message will appear with a red background if the packet size is over the limit. Also in the Send Test area it will advise you of the number of credits this campaign will cost.
- To reduce the requested packet size, drag your mouse around the circle to reduce the quality of your image by a percentage.
- Preview Compressed image to view the compressed image. Once you are happy with the compressed image Select Compressed Image. This will bring you back to the campaign. The compression ratio can be changed up until the campaign is approved.
- After selecting the Select Compressed Image you can review if that meets requirements when the Request Size message defaults to be highlighted in blue.
- You can Send Test to test the appearance of the MMS campaign. It is also indicated here the number of credits this campaign will cost. The number of credits it will cost should match the number of recipients. If it is over the number of recipients it indicates the number of additional credits to be charged.
- Once the campaign has been tested and meets the requirements, select to approve the campaign
- A pop up screen will appear confirming all details Click on Approve and the campaign will be created.
- You can Hold a campaign if last minute changes are required or to cancel a previously approved campaign. This applies so long as the campaign send times hasn't passed.
MAX MMS packet size is 300KB (this includes the image, personalised fields, verification, vCard and trailing SMS). Going over this size will incur additional surcharges, if the packet goes over 500KB MobileDigital Marketing (MDM) will not send the MMS, as the carriers are unable to guarantee delivery across existing gateways.
When MDM refer to under 300KB .gif/video - it is referring to the total size of the final MMS message sent to the carrier for transmission. The message string includes all encoding, tags, headers footers, message, images and other data.